I just caught the end of the Ireland v. France Rugby game. It's a huge deal here, the beginning of something about "Six Nations". I think it has to do with the number of teams playing, but I'm honestly not sure.
Ireland lost, and from what I saw though, France was better. Ireland had some good plays and a brilliant goal, but France came right back, put together a try and then got the goal. And all of those men are tougher than nails. I'm reading the rules of rugby and basically you get shorts, a shirt and, in case of injury, some leather or cloth padding. Maybe. And if your shoe comes untied while you're playing-too bad. Better be able to tie it and run like heck at the same time.
In two weeks a big thing is happening, the English are coming to Croake Park. I think for the game I'll have to get people (aka Chris and Lara and anyone else I can know) into a pub to watch it, because that is an epic match. And of course, it's the English in Ireland. Apparently Croake Park is the center of Irish games, the Gaelic Athletic Association-keeper of all things Irish. Started back in like, the late 1800's, it's been a force in everything, from everyday life (sports) to government. The GAA gets government money. I can't tell if it's something the Irish like, but it's just one of those things.
SHUT UP. LARRY MULLEN JR FROM U2 WAS AT CROAKE PARK. I LOVE HIM. Well, I love U2.
MAYBE I'LL DO SOME U2 STALKING IN 2 WEEKS TIME. (I'm a genius).
I'm thinking this coming Saturday I might take a day trip up to Howth, if only to take some pictures.
I got the art and design class, which means I'll just be having to go farther to learn. But it's totally worth it. The Mountjoy Square building has a fantastic art book library-I may or may not be spending a lot of time there.
Today I had the best donut of my life. If you're in Ireland, you must have one. I'll take a picture of thhe little place so you know where to go. They're freshly baked, you can get sugar or chocolate on it, and they're incredible. It seriously made my day. It started out kinda cruddy and rainy, but it turned out to be quite lovely. I'm meeting Lara for dinner later.
Speaking of which, they've found a place to live. With luck, they'll get to stay. I hope so-they've got an oven.
Oh-also saw Music and Lyrics last night with lara. Ridiculously cute. And I just checked the site for the Jameson International Film Festival which starts soon and there are definately some movies I'd like to see. They're even showing "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Steve McQueen, and I think I'll have to drag someone to see it with me because I love Steve McQueen.
I put some postcards in the mail on Friday. For those who haven't got one yet, I'll wait to see if this first batch makes it there. Then, you'll get one.
I'm going to finish reading the rules of Rugby and watching the analysis on RTE 2 so when the English come, I'll know what is going on.
I love sports. And these are almost better than hockey.
Almost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment